Monday, September 7, 2015

My Favorite Place - Granny's Old House

Hi everyone!
It's been a long time since I've blogged here (and I'm 11 years old now!) but now I'm back and will try to do this more often.
Now that we're back in homeschool, I got an LA assignment telling me to write about my favorite place. So I chose Granny's old house in Balulang. The effect it had on me was amazing. The words started flowing, pouring out, and I wrote for half an hour... Finally, I finished, and here it is.


It's been a long time since I've seen that familiar old tree, 
standing tall and strong, growing lush green leaves.
It's been a long time since I ran down the earthy path that led to the houses,
running down the rich brown earth, kicking up dust.
I still remember the river, the quiet river, flowing easily, carrying the sound
of our laughter to lands unknown.
I remember, after a swim in it, how we would split up and run into
one of the three familiar houses.
One of them standing tall, rich and old, with stairs that creaked 
comfortably whenever we walked up.
I remember the shelves of trophies, the frames of 
butterflies, telling the stories of memories never to be forgotten.
The chickens, squacking as we chased them. The rusted
metal carts that we played magicians in, they used 
to hold food items to sell, but they became used to 
children popping in and out of their holes.
At night, torches glowed, hammocks went back and forth,
tents were put up for the kids to 'camp' in.
A little stone fireplace with stone seats running all around it was lit,
the marshmallows held over it burnt up, we were too mystified
by the stories of people we hardly knew, but felt so close to.
Memories passed over the campfire, told and retold until we knew
every word.
That was the place where everyone knew everyone else, it was a paradise,
closed and separated from the busy world outside, it is, or was my
favorite place.
It's gone now, but still, to me, it's the best place on the face of the Earth,
It's my paradise,



That's my writing.
If you are wondering why I said 'it's gone now', it's because one big flood washed it away, if you look there now, it's just mud, mud, and mud. Foot deep mud. Even the tree is gone. Our family living there was saved, but sadly, the people were the only ones saved. 
The trophies are gone, the frames are gone, they're all lost.
But the memories still thrive.

No comments: